This post is for you if you…
- want an alternative way to dig into your limiting beliefs
The Purpose of This Post
I have been in a funk for the past week. I’m talking a total lack of motivation and questioning everything I know and stand for funk. It’s like being in quicksand that keeps dragging me deeper and deeper each time I struggle to get out. One part of my brain understands struggling will only make things worse and the other knows that by calming down and accepting the situation, I probably can find a way out.
I don’t know what caused my apathetic state of mind, but writing about it right now is like a healing balm to my soul. It’s a release of words and emotions that is unblocking the dam of creativity running through my veins. Intuitively, I understand that questioning my purpose and whether I am good enough to continue pursuing my dream is rooted in the beliefs I still hold that try and derail my progress. Instinctively, I turned to my tarot cards for help uncovering the one theme that runs through my past week of heavy emotion and it did not disappoint. I pulled the Hanged Man, the card of perspective, re-alignment and perhaps intentional pause.
The purpose of my post today is to show you that if you are struggling with where you are right now, there is a way to discover why and know what to do about it. I also want you to know that no one has things completely figured out. You learn as you go and by doing. By equipping yourself with the tools that resonate with you, it may make your journey a bit easier.
What are Limiting Beliefs?
Limiting beliefs are ideas we formed as children, usually before the age of 6, that affect how we view ourselves, others and the world around us. We develop them based on patterns we observed and experienced, then made our own assumptions on cause and effect.
For Example: I’m not easy to love.
The Root Belief: conditions placed on you during childhood that determined how you were treated by your parents. You acted like yourself (against their rules) = non-lovable. You conformed to their expectations = lovable.
Why Care About Them?
- You believe they are your truth
- You are living on outdated ideas that you created as a juvenile
- They stand in the way of manifesting your dreams
- They take away your power
- Keeps you caged and limited, shackled and imprisoned
- Inhibits your progress
- Throws up blocks you don’t know how to get around or don’t believe you can
- Affects every area of your life: relationships, how you show up, what actions you take, pre-determine what is possible for you, directly impact your happiness
- Self-fulfilling prophecies
What you put out into the universe is what you get. It’s the Law of Attraction in motion, you attract what you focus on. If you think you aren’t good enough, how will you ever get to where you desire to go?
Understanding that you create your own reality with your beliefs, it’s time to get out of your own way.
You are the only one that is holding you back from achieving what you desire.
Discovering tarot has been one of the defining moments of my life. As the type of person who needs an action plan to move forward, tarot gave me this but also so much more. My self-development work has benefited exponentially from this practice as it allows me to be honest with myself by highlighting lessons I don’t want to acknowledge.
Just as I pulled the Hanged Man this morning before sitting down to write this, I asked what was the one thing I could incorporate in this post that would help both myself and you. I find it fascinating that tarot always delivers a new perspective on a situation and literally did by pulling this card. In terms of my funk, the Hanged Man urged me to see things in a different light. I have felt my creativity blocked this past week and was plagued with massive doubts about what I have put out into the world thus far. Holding this card and thinking about my experience, I realized that my lesson was to accept the ebb and flow of ideas as well as point out that I still had some limiting beliefs to work through.
In case you don’t know already, here is how tarot can help you:
- Opportunity for explosive self-development and growth.
- Incorporate a daily mindfulness practice.
- Discover your authentic self and what your life purpose is.
- Uncover blocks and obstacles holding you back and get an actionable plan to move around them.
- Validation and confirmation that you are heading in the right direction.
- Guidance as you navigate life and make decisions.
- Experience the inner peace that comes with knowing you are living your purpose.
- Connect with and develop your intuition, the seat of your soul.
- Enhance your creativity.
- Opens you up to new ideas that you had not thought of or previously discounted as too out there.
Related Reading: 10 Powerful Reasons You Need Tarot in Your Life
How to Use Tarot to Confront Your Limiting Beliefs
Because this post is about limiting beliefs, let’s talk specifically about how you can use tarot to work with your own that are holding you back from your full potential. One thing I want to stress is there are no rules when it comes to this. Give yourself the opportunity to flow with what comes and change anything that doesn’t feel right to you. Mold it and make it your own – only by doing this can you continue growth that is true for you. Use what you read as a guide and certainly use it as it is until you get comfortable creating your own practice.
The good thing about the format is that you can interchange any of your fears and beliefs. All you have to do is get clear on what you want to focus on, then you can adjust it accordingly.
Step 1 Pull out your tarot cards, your journal and your favorite pen
Step 2 Get Clear: Ask the question specific to the limiting belief (listed below). Write your answer in as much detail as you can in your journal.
Step 3 Grab your tarot cards. Clear the energy out of the deck (I usually knock three times on the deck as I visualize it clearing the old out to make way for the new).
Step 4 Close your eyes and hold the deck, thinking about the questions you are asking.
Pursuing Your Dream Limiting Belief
Question: What is a desire you want to achieve but feel stuck/scared/uncertain about?
Ask your tarot deck:
- Why do I feel called to follow this dream?
- What is the likely outcome of pursuing this dream?
- What is holding me back?
- What am I afraid of?
- What lesson am I supposed to learn?
- What is one step I can take today to move me closer to my dream?
Fear of Failure Limiting Belief
Question: What are you afraid of? What is the worst thing that will happen if you fail?
Ask your tarot deck:
- What is my fear of failure trying to tell me?
- What lesson can I learn from failure?
- How does this fear hold me back?
- What is the likely outcome of facing my fear of failure?
- What step can I take today to face my fear?
Money Limiting Belief
What fear do you have around money?
Ask your tarot deck:
- What benefit does my belief about money give me?
- How am I missing out by having this belief?
- What am I afraid to face with my money belief?
- What is the likely outcome of working through this belief?
- What is one step I can take today to face my idea about money?
I’m Not Good Enough Limiting Belief
List all the ways you feel you aren’t good enough in your life. Why do you think this?
Ask your tarot deck:
- How do I really see myself?
- How can I remind myself that I am worthy?
- What is holding me back from seeing my worth?
- What am I afraid of?
- What is the likely outcome of seeing my inherent worth?
- What step can I take today to move me closer to self-love and confidence?
Related Reading: How to Overcome Limiting Beliefs and Live Your Dream
Final Thoughts on Using Tarot to Work Through Your Limiting Beliefs
In case you didn’t notice, there are two questions I included in each: What is the likely outcome and what step can I take today? I did this for a reason: to give you hope and possibility. If you try and work through these fears without a clear understanding of how to do it or where you are headed, it will feel as if you are in a fog. However, if you have a definitive action and a visual of what is possible, you will find the motivation to do the hard work.
I believe combining tarot with your self-development work gives you the hope and possibility that is turbocharged with action needed to keep at it. Good luck as you discover how special you are and find the courage to be yourself.
Proud introvert, intuitive entrepreneur, and spiritual activist. On a mission to embolden my fellow introverts to quietly change the world.